Friday, October 16, 2009

Light my Fire. Please.


I'm a little late in getting a post up this today, but I guess, as they say, better late than never!

Life has been a little nuts lately, and I find myself in the position of having to produce a lot of work that I'm not necessarily feeling inspired to work on right now. Let's just say life hasn't just kicked my will to create in the seat of the pants, it's all but taken it to the mat. My creative flame has dimmed to a flicker--proof being the number of lame methaphors I've peppered into the previous lines!

Point is, I need to light my creative fires, and fast, because no matter how I try lately,whatever comes out of my keyboard feels flat and lifeless. I guess, for lack of a better word, I'm having a hard time in getting in the mood for love, both in my life and on the page. And that has to change!

So I've spent a lot of time this week searching for those things that help me refocus what it is I want to do/say with my work, my life, and I thought I'd share some of them with you

Poetry:

Love,

Because of you, in gardens of blossoming flowers I ache from the
perfumes of spring.
I have forgotten your face, I no longer remember your hands;
how did your lips feel on mine?
Because of you, I love the white statues drowsing in the parks,
the white statues that have neither voice nor sight.
I have forgotten your voice, your happy voice; I have forgotten
your eyes.
Like a flower to its perfume, I am bound to my vague memory of
you. I live with pain that is like a wound; if you touch me, you will
do me irreparable harm.
Your caresses enfold me, like climbing vines on melancholy walls.
I have forgotten your love, yet I seem to glimpse you in every
window.
Because of you, the heady perfumes of summer pain me; because
of you, I again seek out the signs that precipitate desires: shooting
stars, falling objects.

--Pablo Neruda


Music:



Youtube:



Books.

Too many to share. :) But certain authors have a habit of inspiring me to create my best, such as Deidre Knight, Alice Hoffman, Elizabeth Berg, Isabel Allende, and lately, Gail Dayton.

Finally, beefcake! Vintage variety. ;)



So what do you do to renew your spirit, recharge, and stoke your creative fires. Is it working for you? Why? And if not, then what do we do about it? I really do want to know!

3 comments:

Katie Reus said...

I'm sorry your muse is hiding and I'm really sorry life is kicking your ass right now :( Whenever I need a creative boost in the romance writing department, I watch Love Actually. There are so many versions of love and different storylines, it does it for me every time. Not to mention, I cry every single time I watch it (starting with the opening narrative) and I think it must release bad energy or something b/c it works :)

Honoria Ravena said...

I hope you get back on track soon. When my muse takes a vacation I try to get her back using chocolate, Under the Tuscan Sun (the movie) and re-reading Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. But when none of that works I just take a break. Sometimes you just need a break. A bubble bath, or shopping and a Starbucks.

Saranna DeWylde said...

I clean. I find I create better in a clean space. I will do a space clearing sometimes too. It always makes me feel lighter.

I will first try to be kind to the muse and speak softly with a long shower and ladybug slippers along with some guilt-free snacks. I say guilt-free, but what I reall mean is "fuck it". *g* If that doesn't work, I reread a book that's a favorite. If that still doesn't work, I sit down at the computer and I call myself a word that starts with a *p*... Verbal abuse is never pretty, but my muse is into the rough stuff sometimes. :)

 

Made by Lena