Friday, October 2, 2009

What Color is the Sky in Your World ? (Twilight Again)










Vampires don't sparkle in the sunlight.

They burst into flames and die.

My daughter has a tee shirt that says that on the back, and yeah, being a bit of a vampire purist, it never fails to draw a cackle from me, mostly because it thrills me that my daughter doesn't jump onto the pop-culture bandwagon just because everyone else has hopped on board.

But for the longest time, my daughter wouldn't wear that shirt to school for fear she'd get beat up in the girl's room.

Wow. Really?

What's up with that?

While I personally have issues with sparkly vamps, it's not like there's anything in inherently wrong with that. I'm just not down with it. But that's just me, and I'm an each to his/her own kind of girl. :)

Others, not so much.

What is it about the idea of sparkly vampires that inspire such divided opinions? I mean, it's Stefanie Meyer's world. If she wants her vamps to sparkle, fine by me. If her readers are cool with it, then why not? If I don't go for sparkle, I won't read them.

Didn't read them--tried, just couldn't get into it.

But I gotta tell you, my hat's off to Stefanie. Anyone who can sell that many books gets my kudos whether I personally enjoyed the book or not. And while it was probably blind luck, Stef's move to dump body glitter on Edward Cullen was brilliant in a marketing sense. Anyone who is under twenty has a very strong opinion about it, and they aren't afraid to defend their stance.

Often with their fists if need be.

So, tell me about the vamps in your world. Do they sparkle? Should they?

If the world building is there, is myth stretching a case of anything goes? I guess what I really want to know is this--has the time for my Mulholland Drive were-yorkies finally come to pass?

Are the pink ear ribbons stretching the boundaries of a culturally treasured myth just a tad too far?

***
And here it is, the obligatory one-each call for votes you'll be seeing from me for the next month or so! :)

I'm currently bouncing between 1st and 3rd place in the Dorchester Publishing contest @ textnovel. Should I actually, *gasp* win, my book would be contracted by Dorchester Publishing.

If you read and enjoy Muse Struck, I would truly appreciate your "thumbs up" votes. You can go to the site by clicking the book cover below. Then just register, read and vote "thumbs up".

Any winnings from the contest will be donated to advance meaningful autism awareness.

Thank you!

9 comments:

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
Thanks for the great post.
I like that your daughter follows her own self.
:)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Katie Reus said...

That's hilarious! I've seen another t-shirt that says 'Buffy killed Edward. The End.' Good for your daughter ;)

Maree Anderson said...

Personally, I kinda liked the books *ducks for cover* which is just as well, because I had to read them ALL to make sure they were suitable reading material for my daughter--who was being offered them by her school friends. As she wasn't quite 12 at the time, I didn't really have a choice, LOL.

I gotta say, I'm totally relieved that by the time the movie came out, she'd grown out of Twilight and moved on. Meaning that we could all laugh at the whole sparkly vamp concept. Now she's firmly in Jacob's camp -- much prefers a hot werewolf to a sparkly emo vampire. A girl after my own heart, LOL!

BTW, were-yorkies? Bring 'em on, Liane. That vampire-lap-dog in the Blade movie really freaked me out!

Wynter Daniels said...

I'm not that big a vamp purist that the sparkly thing bothered me. It's Stephanie's world to build IMHO. I must admit, though. It kind of pissed me off to read The Book and see so many writerly no-nos. But she is doing something right.

Tambra said...

Were-yorkies? Oh Yeah!!! I want a Yorkie so bad...anyway.

I love the Twilight series. It was a different take on the vampire legends.
Anyone who reads my vamps though, they're hot and sexy and they definately don't sparkle cause they are night creatures all the way.

I think it's Stephanie's worldbuilding that made the books so popular. As Wynter Daniels pointed out about the writing no-no's the publisher let the characters and worldbuilding speak for the books and let the other stuff go by the wayside.

Okay, I'm going to see New Moon when it comes out. Will by the DVD to go with Twilight.

Hugs,Tambra

Empress Awesome said...

My vampires die in sunlight. Humans=food not love. I don't mind Meyer vampires (because they're hot!) but I prefer the real ones.

I'm gonna go vote for your book, now. Please do excuse.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Empress, thanks so much. Let me know if you have any trouble. Pretty easy, just register, find my story by name, click blue thumbs up, click blue cell phone and you're done. Hope you enjoy!

Shannon said...

I gotta say that the sparkly vampire thing made sense to me. i know, I know...I'm as much a fan of Bram as the next girl, but, bare with me folks, if the sun came out and the vamp got all sparkly and the zoomed off with their vamp speed, it would appear to the lay person that the vamp did explode and disintegrate.

BTW, I LOVED that YouTube video of Buffy vs Edward. Instant Classic!

:-) Shannon

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks everyone, thanks for the great comments. Just goes to show, there's a vamp for every taste, and that has to be a good thing.:)

 

Made by Lena