Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can You Remember Your First New Year's Eve?

Can You Remember Your First New Year's Eve? by Maree Anderson for Writers Gone Wild

Hi y'all,

I can't believe it's the end of 2009 already! Where did the year go?

I actually went for my first run of the year this morning.... on the last day of the year. Mmmm. What does that say about me and running? Sooo not my favorite activity but who knows, maybe it'll be the start of something new. Yeah, riiight. Dream on, LOL!

Now before I launch into this blog post, I have an announcement: for those of you who laughed and loved the wry of my friend Mark's "I don't understand romance" post on Christmas Eve, you'll be pleased to know that I've convinced him to start his own blog.

I'm certain that Mme Fate had a hand in all this because a couple of days ago, when Mark sent me another post he'd written, I thought it was great and was going to feature it on my own website. Then I figured, why didn't he start his own blog. And it turns out he already had the perfect domain name reserved -- how coincidental is that?! So I just couldn't let such an opportunity go to waste and I convinced him to go for it.

So check out Confessions Of An Insecure Geek for the next instalment in Mark's particular brand of wry humor and wit, liberally laced with masculine analysis.

In his latest post he goes where few men have gone before and decides to explore "Why I don't understand romance". You don't want to miss it!

Right, back to my post.

I'm writing this at 5pm New Year's Eve New Zealand time, and it's gonna be a bit of a rush job to get it written and scheduled because for the first time ever, we're celebrating New Year's Eve as a family. By that I mean that we now feel the kids are old enough to stay up to see the New Year in (and hopefully not wake up tomorrow morning and be grumpy bad-tempered little so-and-sos all day). So instead of getting some poor sitter with no social life to look after the kids for us & heading out to dinner or a party -- actually, I can't remember the last time one of our sitters actually did have a free night on New Year's Eve -- or lounging round at home drinking champagne and watching DVDs after the kids head off to bed, or dragging the kids along to a kid-friendly party or dinner at a friend's house, we're all going out on the town together.

In less than an hour -- yikes! -- we're heading off to our favorite Cock 'N' Bull for a couple of their sensational mixed grill platters, some sodas (maybe a glass of bubbly for the adults) and we might even indulge in one of their decadent desserts or puddings. Then we're heading off to a late session of the movies -- having seen Avatar already (totally awesome!), it'll probably be Sherlock Holmes, since the shorts looked fab, and it appears to be another movie that adults and kids alike will appreciate.

Depending on what time the movie finishes, we'll wander round for a bit, then head back home and finish off all the Christmas chocolate and toast the New Year in. Knowing my kids, the toast will be literal, because they'll be hungry -- again! -- and they'll scoff half a loaf of toasted bread and spreads before they head off to bed. For DH and myself, we've got a bottle of Tattinger all chilled and ready to pop once we get home and driving anywhere is no longer an issue.

Might sound tame, but I'm really looking forward to a night out with my DH and my kids. I'm so very lucky to have them in my life and believe me, I know it! Besides, being a parent is all about sharing "firsts" with your kids and this will be the first time they've officially stayed up to see the New Year in -- how cool is that? No way am I gonna miss it.

So, can you remember the first time you stayed up to see in the New Year? Would love to hear all about it!

And finally....

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
And may all your dreams come true in 2010.

Take care,

:-)

M

4 comments:

Katie Reus said...

Your night sounds like fun! I'm just hanging with the hubby too. Nothing crazy but I'm really looking forward to a calm New Years :) Hope yours is awesome!

Maree Anderson said...

You, too, Katie!
Just for the record, I loved Sherlock Holmes, though DH and kids thought it was just 'ok'. And the kids didn't quite make it to midnight. They crashed about 10.45pm. Oh well, maybe next year, LOL.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Happy New Year, Maree and Katie. We had a quiet evening, just me, the kids and the various four legged critters living under my roof right now LOL!

Maree Anderson said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Liane!

After we got home from the movies our New Year's Eve was quiet -- once we put in the earplugs to block out the drunken neighbours rocking on home after the clubs closed. Wouldn't be quite so irritating if they could sing in tune. Sigh.

 

Made by Lena