Friday, April 9, 2010

Manna for the Muse (Liane Gets Down with her Inner Nerd)




I'm a nerd. Yeah, physics turns me on in a serious kind of way. Sick, right? But also exciting for those of us who yearn to hop dimensions and explore alternate universes.

Some scientists--quantum physicists, to be specific--out in California accidentally proved that parallel universes *do* exist and that time travel is theoretically possible. Not just to the future, as Einstein posited, but to the past as well. Not only that, but yes, Virginia, you really can be in two places at once.

Wow.

Seriously, just wow.

I have to tell you, the implications of this experiment make me quiver--in a good way. It also makes me wonder if this new knowledge will stimulate sales of time travel romances and alternate histories. I certainly hope so. I cut my romance loving teeth on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Nothing fascinates me quite so much as the idea that we could travel back in time, or into alternate versions of both past and present times.

But it also opens up some interesting questions. Regret is a powerful emotion. So is the thirst for control over our own destinies.

If you could travel back into time and tweak your life, would you? What would you change? Do you really believe it would lead you to a different, better outcome?

What if the new outcome wasn't so rosy as you anticipated. Then what? Go back and try again? Venture to the future to fix the damagge? Hmmm...what of the impact on the lives of those around you? Seriously, who's to say that people from our future aren't already hopping timelines in an effort to control their own reality?

Then there are the alternate versions of our current reality to consider. Dude. If there's a world where I'm Keanu Reeves' babe, I'm so there. But maybe the price I'd pay for mastering my own destiny would be high. After all, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Seems to me every leap would bring a price with it. The dystopian possibilities of such an idea are endless. Secrets society theories abound. And yes, my muse is on fire.

Or maybe that's just the toast.

**some of you may have noticed I've been absent from blogging for a while. A family crisis of epic proportions kept me away from both my blogs and my writing. I appreciate your support for Writers Gone Wild, and just wanted to say how much I've missed each and every one of you! Let the ribaldry resume!

10 comments:

Kaylea Cross said...

So glad to see you back here! Glad things have finally settled down (not jinxing you, honest!) enough that you can get some writing time in.

I'm with you, I think messing with time travel is bound to screw something up. That's just bad juju. Although I'd be really tempted to peek in on the Civil War era. Wouldn't it be cool though if someone could go back in time and prevent the formation of nuclear weapons? Or stop militant extremism in its tracks? Of course then I'd have nothing to write about, and millions of people would be out of work... See? It's a double-edged sword.

Jennifer L Hart said...

The grandfather paradox. You know, Phil goes back in time, leans on a boulder, starts a landside which burried his own grandfather as a child. Will Phil then no longer exist? And if Phil never is, does the grandfather survive?

As the line blurs between science and science fiction, the same phrase keeps running through my mind. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Would love to talk quantum mechanics with you any time--Nerd to Geek ;-)

Kathy Holmes said...

Time travel has always fascinated me. Interesting post...

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks, Kathy. It's an abiding interest of mine, as well!

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Haaa, Jennifer, takes one to know one! ;) We def. need to schedule a geek fest!

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Thanks, Kaylea. You've been such a bright spot lately, and it has been duly noted! :)

Great thoughts on the implications of time travel, too. So much food for thought. Or I could simply be hungry *g*.

Wynter Daniels said...

Glad you're back. Ever watch a Canadian show called Being Erica? It's about a woman who gets to go back to various points in her life and redo it as part of her "therapy." Fascinating concept

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Wynter, I haven't seen it, but I'd love to! Thanks do much for the info!!!!!

SarannaDeWylde said...

I've got my geek on too.

I believe that time and space bends, I always thought these things were possible.

Look at how much of our brains that we don't use... don't even get me started on the secret society slant. My book shelf would scare you.

I'm so glad you're back.

And uh... count down to RT. Talk about a world ending paradox... you and I occupying the same space for almost a week. Bwahahahahahaaha... insert more maniacal laughter.

I'm so excited. *does happy dance in hooker heels*

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Bwah ha ha haaaaaa is sooooo right! And yes, Virginia, vodka is gluten free!! ;)

 

Made by Lena