Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Waxing and Writing

Being a woman is awesome. Sometimes it’s also painful. Shaving, waxing, plucking. Fun stuff. Usually when I get waxed I’ll do one thing at a time. If I’m getting my eyebrows done, I won’t get my upper lip area done at the same time. It takes me long enough to psych myself up for the one area to be waxed. I don’t know why either because I’ve got a tattoo and I plan to get another one this year. The first was semi-painful but not so bad. There’s just something about hot wax on my face that freaks me out I guess.



I do the same thing when I’m writing though. I’ll psych myself out and completely avoid writing a synopsis. Anything to get out of it. Wash my car, wax my car, dust the house. Hell, I’ll even wash the dog…okay I won’t go that far. That’s the hubby’s area of expertise. When I’m finished though, and it’s edited to death, I’m usually pretty impressed that I managed to condense an entire story to somewhere between two and six pages, depending on the length of the manuscript. Just like waxing, the end result is worth the pain. Though, I still don’t think I could ever do a Brazilian wax. The thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat. I have friends who swear by them, but uh, no thanks. That's a little too far south for wax to go.



What do you hate doing or at least dislike doing, but love the end result?

6 comments:

Suzanne Brandyn said...

lol I think I'll give the brazillian wax a pass. Love your blog. It's so airy, light and interesting.

Suzanne :)

Lisa said...

Amen, sista! I LOATHE writing a synopsis. Query letters don't scare me so much anymore, but a snyopsis? Those suckers freak me the heck out!

Kaylea Cross said...

Synopses suck. So do Brazilian waxes :) I'm told they're kind of "out" now, so thank God.

I think with writing I hate it most when I get stuck working on a WIP. It drives me completely crazy and makes me doubt myself to the point that it almost paralyzes my muse. Lucky for me, he's a really hot Pararescue Jumper, so he's pretty resilient.

Katie Reus said...

I don't care if the Brazilian ever comes back 'in'. *shudder*

December said...

I think what freaks me out about the synopsis is there is so much pressure to do it RIGHT.
And so many ways to do it right, everyeone is convinced they're way is the right way and every alternate way is WRONG WRONG WRONG your career is doooooommmeeedd!!!
FYI - brazialain isn't that bad. The bikini part is worse, and underarms and upper lip hurt the most. IMO.

By W. J. Howard said...

When I saw the title, I couldn't resist reading. What a great post!

Hey, I heard the full bush is back in style, so I'll skip the Brazilian too.

 

Made by Lena